- Ontario Non-Union Education Trust (ONE-T)
- Toronto, ON (or remote)
- Financial – Insurance
- Practice Area
- Group and Health Benefits
- Actuarial designation
- Actuary – FCIA
Ontario Non-Union Education Trust (ONE-T) is looking for an Executive Director. The Executive Director will be charged with providing superior members services associated with their benefits plans as well as coordinating all providers, external stakeholders including participating school boards, settlors of the trust, and the trustees and board committees. The Board has established the Trust’s Governance and Operational Policies. The Executive Director works with the Board of Trustees to ensure appropriate policies and systems are in place to sustain the Trust’s ability to provide benefits to its Plan Members.
Although Board and Committee meetings will occasionally occur in Toronto, this position does not need to be based in Toronto. If based in Toronto, office space can be provided. Meeting room space is provided to host meetings.
The Executive Director is accountable to the Board of Trustees and works under its direction in implementing the Board’s decisions and manages daily operations in addition to seeking, planning and coordinating resources for the sustainability of ONE-T’s five plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Translate the Board’s goals, objectives and strategic direction into operational plans and activities.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of ONE-T including coordinating the delivery of the ONE-T’s services to Plan Members with third-party service providers, arranging trustee insurance, preparing and managing within a budget, etc.
- Oversee administration services provided in respect of the plans. This would include efficient administration of benefits, keeping up to date with benefit issues, etc.
- Manage member services, including investigating member appeals, troubleshooting escalated claims, facilitating the development and distribution of all member communications and ensure meeting all tax return filing and reporting requirements (including issuance of T4As) by administrator and others.
- Liaise with PVP and CAEAS-ECAB leaders and other settlors as needed to ensure all the needs of the membership are met within the plans and ensure regular communication is provided.
- Provide educational seminars for the membership when needed at the direction of the trustees.
- Manage relationships with professionals (lawyers, actuaries, auditors, insurers, administrator etc.) with respect to all aspect of the plans, including the preparation of any analysis, renewals and reports necessary to support the trusts.
- Provide information and recommendations on any benefit changes, including costs and administrative implications.
- Facilitate trust meetings including preparing agendas and trustee reports, identifying plan issues and facilitate recording secretary.
- Review and provide governance oversight on trustee decisions, implementation and plan design changes.
- Responsible for all required government filings for trusts (including financial statements) with the Canada Revenue Agency and other bodies as required.
- Assist with the collection and preparation of financial information used by the auditor.
- A successful track record of 10 years of working experience in the life/health insurance industry or employee benefit market, some of which involved in a senior leadership position.
- Experience with multi-employer benefit plans and / or multi-employer pension plans and / or unionized plans.
- Experience reporting to a board of trustees.
- Experience with best governance practices for Board operations and multi-employer arrangements.
- Favourable relations within the insurance industry.
- Proficiency in MSOffice.
- Fluently bilingual, written and oral, English and French.
- General understanding of CLHIA and CRA guidelines for ELHTs and benefit plans.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, communication (both written and verbal) and presentation (both written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated discretion, confidentiality, and sound judgement.
- Ability to work independently and possess organizational skills to manage multiple tasks at the same time.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, planning and decision-making skills.
- Experience providing direction and feedback to others.
- Knowledge of or experience in the Ontario education sector or financial sector.
- Previous working experience in media relations or training.
- Willing to learn and take advantage of all current technologies to provide the best in member service.
- Individuals in this position normally work during regular business hours in an office environment. To meet deadlines, occasionally working longer than normal hours is expected.
- A modern office conveniently located in Toronto, with flexibility to work remotely.
- Occasional travel for meetings is required.
Who we are
ONE-T is an Employee Life and Health Trust that delivers heath, dental, life insurance and accidental death and dismember benefits to approximately 15,000 covered members. The covered members are full, part time and retired Principals and Vice-Principals and the full time, part time and retired non-union employees from publicly funded school boards in Ontario. The Principals and Vice-Principals are represented by the P/VP Associations (Ontario Principals Council, Catholic Principals’ Council of Ontario, Association des directions et directions adjointes des écoles franco-ontariennes) and the non-union members are represented by the Conseil des associations en éducation pour les avantages sociaux or Education Council of Associations for Benefits (CAEAS-ECAB). The trust ensures that the P/VP and the CAEAS-ECAB plans are managed separately as the funding for one plan cannot be used for the other.
The five Plans managed under the trust are governed by a nine member board of trustees which is composed of independent appointments and representatives from the two member groups. Independent professional firms have been engaged to administer and ensure the benefits as well as provide advisory and actuarial support, legal and auditing support to the trust.
ONE-T is committed to an inclusive, diverse and accessible workplace and encourages all interested applicants to submit a cover and resume for consideration. Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional info: ONE-T_Careers_Posting_FR (79kb) (the link will open in a new window)
More search results
Associate Professor, Actuarial Science
University of Toronto, Department of Statistical Sciences
Assistant Professor, Actuarial Science
University of Toronto, Department of Statistical Sciences
Actuarial Student Co-op Winter 2021
Senior Actuarial Consultant
Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario