Director & Actuary, Life Reinsurance
RMA was founded in 1996. Its head office is in the financial district of Toronto, Canada with market representation in the United States.
The Company’s primary shareholder is Constellation Affiliated Partners (Constellation) based in New York.
RMA is a licensed Life and Health Agency with Property and Casualty Broker licenses throughout Canada. Its primary focus is to provide flexible and innovative ideas, technical expertise and customized solutions to leading insurance and reinsurance companies both in Canada and USA. Our team consists of actuaries, underwriters, claims and treaty professionals as well as reinsurance administrative specialists.
RMA is currently operating from a remote environment given the pandemic. We are giving careful thought to the Company’s return to office approach and timeline, however, we anticipate that most employees will continue working from home until the end of 2021. RMA offers the flexibility of permanent work from home arrangements as part of its total rewards package.
The role reports to the VP, Financial Solutions in the Life Reinsurance division. Responsibilities include pricing and preparing life reinsurance quotations, experience studies, quarterly reporting and supporting the execution of the overall life reinsurance business development strategy. The majority of work will be for US based insurance companies and international reinsurance partners.
As RMA is a small dynamic company the candidate would be expected to be involved in any new and upcoming actuarial projects, including the following ongoing activities either as a majority individual contributor or working in collaboration with actuarial students or administration staff:
- Pricing of YRT, Coinsurance, Longevity and Financial Reinsurance deals
- Enhance and overhaul Valuation Systems
- Develop new experience analysis procedures and best practices
- Enhance mortality projection methodologies (example: Lee-Carter models) to support assumptions for pricing and valuation work
- Provide support to service existing client base, such as inforce experience studies
- Provide miscellaneous technical support for life reinsurance business (traditional and non-traditional structures) and for insurance companies and reinsurance partners
- Communicating with reinsurance partners and insurance companies on quotations and technical pricing issues
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Experience Requirements
- Degree in Actuarial Science, Math, Statistics, Finance, or a related field
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA) or career ASA
- Being a member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA) would be an asset
- Life insurance products or Life reinsurance
- Familiarity with experience studies would be an asset.
- Pricing principles and profit testing techniques
- Sources of data for pricing purposes
- Proficient in GGY Axis
- Proficient in MS-Office tools, especially MS-Excel and MS-Access
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong interpersonal skills with all staff
- Able to juggle multiple tasks with multiple stakeholders
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Some familiarity of statistical / data, or math related tools such as R, Python, SQL or Matlab would be an asset
- Some familiarity of US and/or Canadian (IFRS) statutory reporting and reinsurance regulations
- At least 5 years’ experience for FSA and 7 years for career ASA, majority in life insurance or reinsurance pricing
- Possesses a high personal profile and strong professional reputation and network among industry peers and clients
- Experience in structuring non-traditional / capital management reinsurance arrangements would be an asset
- Experience in structuring longevity reinsurance transactions would be an asset
- Some valuation experience would be an asset
- US and/or Canadian life reinsurance market experience would be an asset
More search results
Actuarial Risk Manager
Brookfield Asset Management
Senior Actuarial and Risk Protege
SOCAR Mobility Asia
Vice President, Internal Audit
Ivanhoé Cambridge Inc.
CO-OP OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS IN EMPLOYMENT EQ…
Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada
Manager, Pension Programs