Assistant Actuary, Accident & Health
- Toronto, Financial District
- Competitive total compensation package
- Financial – Insurance
- Practice Area
- Individual Life Insurance
- Actuarial designation
- Actuarial Candidate
Chubb is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients. The company is distinguished by its extensive product and service offerings, broad distribution capabilities, exceptional financial strength, underwriting excellence, superior claims handling expertise and local operations globally.
The Assistant Actuary will be responsible for assisting the business leaders, senior management, finance and actuaries by managing, analyzing, interpreting and presenting data in order to help make decisions impacting the Accident & Health business unit’s goals.
Valuation based work
- Organize and analyze data from various internal and external sources, including maintenance of the current P&L database accessed in Qlikview
- Annually work with Appointed Actuary/Chief Actuary to oversee the preparation of actuarial reserves including IBNR and ALR reserves (US GAAP basis) for A&H.
- Key contact between Finance and appointed actuary to facilitate the move to IFRS 17 accounting rules
- Oversee actuarial implementation and calculations of IFRS 17 once implemented – including direct involvement in policy decision making, data preparation, and collaboration with appointed actuary and central IFRS 17 team.
- Liaise with appointed actuary and Finance to ensure all information is available and accurate to prepare reserves, FCT and LICAT for Life Company
- Assist with ORSA requirements
Pricing based work
- Support pricing functions by communicating findings from various activities which may include price monitoring, profitability analysis, claim and expense studies
- Work with Pricing Actuary and VP Underwriting to identify opportunities to increase sales, increase profit, and/or reduce expenses, using internal and external data
- Assist where needed to help evaluate and analyze new blocks of business
- Monthly, oversee the actual vs expected claims analysis by business segment
- Oversee the preparation of client profit share reports quarterly
- University Bachelors, Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics or Commerce/Business or similar degree
- Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries ; near attainment will be considered
- Ideally 5 to 10 years of relevant insurance industry experience
- Solid understanding of basic group and affinity products, accounting and actuarial concepts, and data management.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel; AXIS knowledge a plus; Qlikview knowledge a plus,
- Familiarity with Canada reporting requirements including IFRS 17 knowledge.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical skills and the ability to provide clear and concise verbal and written communications of analyses, results and work products
- Effective organization and time management skills