“Avoid the risk and make a calculated decision, join APS today”
What you’re passionate about
You have ideas – ideas that are innovative and impactful! You are passionate about developing people and aligning business processes with compliant, accurate solutions. You believe that integrity cannot be sacrificed and understand the need to balance your approach with risk, optimization, practicality and client needs. You want to feel the work you are doing has an impact on others. You’re a good communicator and you believe in dialogue; you support resolution-focused environments that are built on collaboration. Teams thrive from your experience in the actuarial sciences. You are dedicated, growth orientated and forward thinking. You are ready for more and you are ready to be integral in moving APS to the next level.
A typical day for the Pension Services Actuary
- Provide analysis and policy advice in the areas of plan design, implementation alternatives and system controls.
- Ensure actuarial standards and practices are employed in the development of policy alternatives as they relate to the development of solutions to administrative or plan design issues.
- Lead projects and provide special reports to evaluate administrative processes and ensure the overall consistency with assumptions and processes used to determine liabilities and plan normal costs.
- Provide recommendations for policy, regulatory and process changes.
- Provide guidance regarding actuarial standards, Income Tax Act (ITA) rules and general pension best practices.
- Deliver input and advice to the development of processes, procedures and implementation of system changes as it relates to plan formulas and valuation processes.
- Provide guidance as required regarding the implementation of changes relating to plan administrative formulas and ITA changes, including updating and creation of documentation as well as the rationale required to support the implementation.
- Maintain up-to-date information with ITA and Employment Pension Plans Act (EPPA) requirements and assist with documenting the implications of changes to the administrative and system processes.
- Build and validate manual calculators as needed to administer pension events.
- Lead organizational initiatives to resolve outstanding actuarial issues related to processing and system requirements that arise periodically.
- Provide service to external agencies that occasionally require actuarial support services from APS as needed.
- Liaise with plan actuaries in all areas relating to actuarial determinations performed by APS on behalf of pension plan members.
- Collaborate and assist with coordinating certification of system revisions to actuarial calculations, commuted values, transfer values, normal form conversions in accordance with CIA standards, plan valuation assumptions and regulatory requirements.
- Assist with training staff on actuarial principles and system implementations to enhance understanding of calculations determined by the pension administration system.
- Solve problems by managing risk.
What you bring
- A Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries
- Pension-related experience
- Knowledge of highly technical areas of pension plans, including taxation, legislation, administration and actuarial practice
- Thorough understanding of complex pension plans, as well as working with pension actuaries
- Well-rounded project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor
- Efficient organizational and time management skills
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team setting or independently
- Strong communication skills, including verbal, written, interpersonal and presentation
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Why choose APS
APS is made up of hardworking, respectful and talented people who understand and invite diversity to the workplace. We take pride in holding ourselves accountable and continuing to meet or exceed service levels for plan members, pensioners and employers. We ensure they receive quality services because they—along with our people—are the reason we endure and succeed.
And it sure feels good helping hard working Albertans receive their well-deserved pensions.
What APS has to offer
- Defined benefit pension plan
- Flexible work arrangements that make sense to you: work from home, compressed work weeks, relocation and more
- Community-minded workplace with a friendly team environment
- Vacation starting at 15 days per year, 13 statutory holidays, personal days, plus office closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Competitive benefit package featuring extended health and dental benefits and a 100% employer-paid flexible spending account
- In-house training programs, extensive career development and coaching program, access to LinkedIn Learning tracks
- Discount programs through various partner agencies
Send us your details
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for.
Please Note: If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please send a separate submission for each competition. The successful candidate(s) will be required to undergo a security screening as a condition of employment. This job posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies within APS at the same or lower classification.
Thank you for your interest in Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS). Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.