RBC Global Asset Management (“RBC GAM”) is a North American-based asset management firm with global scope and industry-leading investment management capabilities. The PH&N Institutional team, as a division of RBC GAM team, is widely considered a thought leader amongst investment consultants and institutional clients alike, based on a long term track record of delivering exceptional investment solutions and service. Please visit: https://institutional.phn.com for more information.
The Institutional Associate works within the Institutional team to support client service and represent investment management teams to clients, with a focus on Liability Driven Investing for pension plan.
Please Note: This position can be located in either Vancouver or Toronto.
What will you do?
- Direct accountability for managing and supporting existing client relationships and participating in new business opportunities
- Disseminate LDI expertise within the institutional team and partner with Institutional Portfolio Managers (IPMs) to develop and implement LDI solutions for existing clients
- Develop and maintain knowledge of portfolio construction process, market conditions and portfolio positioning.
- Further develop and refine the firm’s LDI service offering and value proposition to ensure continuing relevance and competitiveness in the Canadian marketplace
- Play a key role in day-to-day support of client mandates including mandate structuring, cash flows, benchmark changes and monitoring portfolio compliance.
- Compose written market analysis, and create & maintain charts and slides.
- Responsible to contribute to all aspects of client portfolio reporting, both periodic and ad-hoc
- University degree.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with institutional clients
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey complex financial concepts to audiences with varying degrees of financial knowledge
- Strong analytical, time and project management skills
- Passion for markets with skills and attributes that demonstrate potential to develop into a senior member of the team
- High attention to detail and passion for excellence in quality of work; willing to go the extra mile to self-check and ensure accuracy, strong problem solver who demonstrates strategic thinking
- Experience working with DB pension plans in Canada
- Thorough understanding of the fiduciary duties of trustees, and generally of the legal and regulatory environment affecting DB and DC pension plans
- Superior PC literacy, superior knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point & Outlook). Ability to utilize and become proficient in use of various tools and systems.
Nice to Have
- Demonstrated ability to structure and write thought leadership papers on technical subject matter in a clear and concise manner
- Able to work independently and strong team player, ability to meeting tight timelines under high pressure situations, with the ability to prioritize and multitask
- Undergrad actuarial/finance degree an asset
- CFA Candidate – currently enrolled or completed CFA
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, continuing to learn and grow, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
•A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock where applicable
• Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
• Work in a dynamic, collaborative, and high-performing team
• Opportunities to do challenging work
• Opportunities to take on progressively greater accountabilities
• Opportunities to building close relationships with clients
• Ability to make a difference and lasting impact