The Berkshire Hathaway brand is synonymous with trust, integrity, prudent risk taking and doing business the right way. Like all great brands, ours continues to be forged based on the actions of our people – every one of us – who live it day to day and over time. Our financial strength enables us to provide consistent capacity and innovative, tailored solutions. It enables us to underwrite large, complex risks long term – and gives our customers the utmost confidence in the way we do business.
Berkshire Hathaway Group, Reinsurance Division (BHG Re) is a leading provider of life retrocession to Reinsurers from the United States, Canada, Asia and Europe. We are a unique organization, financially strong and diversified, with an appetite for large risks and a long investment horizon, more accepting of volatility. We specialize in individual life and critical illness reinsurance. BHG Re provides a collaborative and supportive culture where you can learn and grow.
About the Role
We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds. We are looking for a curious, self-motivated, and well-rounded individual to be a vital member of our Valuation Team. You will work directly with other experienced actuaries and lead a team consisting of actuarial analysts and managers responsible for valuation of U.S., Canadian and International Reinsurance products. This role will give you a unique opportunity to work with regulatory standards in various jurisdictions (US, Canada and Europe), gain valuable reinsurance knowledge and get experience with designing valuation systems and processes to accommodate new business growth. The role reports to the Chief Actuary.
Key Responsibilities of the role (include but not limited to):
- Valuation, analysis and reporting (including regulatory reports, disclosures and Board/Chief Agent presentations) of the BHG Re life retrocession US, Canadian and International blocks of business within our US, Canadian and European entities (US GAAP, NAIC, US Tax, Canadian GAAP/IFRS and Solvency II bases);
- Review existing valuation processes and systems. Recommend, design and help implement process improvements to accommodate growing lines of business and facilitate analysis;
- Ensure that processes have appropriate controls and comply with actuarial and regulatory guidelines in Canada, United States and Europe;
- Monitor experience and support experience studies. Recommend method and assumption changes and oversee their implementation;
- Manage a high performing actuarial team. Provide mentoring, coaching, and managing their day-to-day work and professional development;
- Lead special projects as requested by Senior Management.
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries designation (FSA) designation is required;
- Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries designation (FCIA) is preferred;
- 7+ years of experience in a life insurance/reinsurance Company is required;
- Experience in an actuarial valuation role and knowledge of Canadian and/or US reporting standards is preferred;
- Strong people management skills, ability to lead and influence;
- Strong technical skills and ability to analyze and solve problems;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience presenting to senior management;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Knowledge/experience with GGY/Moody’s AXIS.
More search results
Senior Manager, Pension Actuarial/Gestionnaire pr…
Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI)
Senior Director (REX-09) / Directeur principal (R…
Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada
Senior Actuarial Analyst - Pricing
Associate Director, Life Reinsurance
Actuarial Analyst, Annuity
Berkshire Hathaway Group Reinsurance Division