Actuarial Analyst, Annuity
The Berkshire Hathaway brand is synonymous with trust, integrity, prudent risk taking and doing business the right way. Like all great brands, ours continues to be forged based on the actions of our people – every one of us – who live it day to day and over time. Our financial strength enables us to provide consistent capacity and innovative, tailored solutions. It enables us to underwrite large, complex risks long term – and gives our customers the utmost confidence in the way we do business.
Berkshire Hathaway Group, Reinsurance Division (BHG Re) is a leading provider of life retrocession to Reinsurers from the United States, Canada, Asia and Europe. We are a unique organization, financially strong and diversified, with an appetite for large risks and a long investment horizon, more accepting of volatility. We specialize in individual life, annuity, longevity and critical illness reinsurance. BHG Re provides the most collaborative and supportive culture where you can learn and grow.
About the Role
We are looking for a curious, energetic, self-motivated, and well-rounded individual to join us as an Actuarial Analyst. The selected candidate will be a vital member of the Annuity team. You will work directly with experienced actuaries and contribute on a wide variety of tasks. This role will give you a unique opportunity to learn the annuity business (both fixed annuities and variable annuities), work with other functional areas within the Company, and gain valuable experience in modelling and production runs. You will also gain valuable experience with US reporting standards and products.
The Company has an Actuarial Analyst Development Program that provides support for actuarial exams.
Job Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Quarterly production runs including the following:
- Preparation of the models including updates to assumptions and data
- Preparation of Economic Scenario Generators (ESG)
- Production of quarterly results and controls
- Analysis of results
- Year-end production runs including US asset adequacy and RBC testing;
- Perform quarterly model refinements;
- Perform analysis and tests related to US GAAP LDTI and US Statutory PBR;
- Ensure that data feeds from 3rd party administrators meet the required standards;
- Production of experience studies;
- Sensitivities and regulatory disclosure requirements;
- Support for capital, risk management and pricing;
- Support 3rd party audits;
- Ensure that relevant deadlines are met at all times.
What you will bring to the role:
- Undergraduate degree in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics or a related field;
- Completed a minimum of 4 examinations of the Society of Actuaries;
- Experience with life insurance and annuity products is preferred;
- Experience with fixed annuity, variable annuity and/or segregated fund products is preferred;
- Experience with stochastic modelling would be beneficial;
- Strong technical skills and ability to analyze and solve problems;
- Strong quantitative analysis skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Good verbal and written communication skills.