Data Science Advisor
Duration: Full time
Work Location: 95 St-Clair Avenue West, Toronto
Unposting Date : 2022-08-19
At Desjardins, we believe in equity, diversity and inclusion. We're committed to welcoming, respecting and valuing people for who they are as individuals, learning from their differences, embracing their uniqueness, and providing a positive workplace for all. At Desjardins, we have zero tolerance for discrimination of any kind. We believe our teams should reflect the diversity of the members, clients and communities we serve.
If there's something we can do to help make the recruitment process or the job you're applying for more accessible, let us know. We can provide accommodations at any stage in the recruitment process. Just ask!
Are you an expert in all things Data Science? Do you have a passion for creating innovative processes surrounding predictive analytics? Are you interested in helping us shape the future of modern predictive modeling and machine learning techniques in the context of insurance? Come be at the heart of a data driven organisation by joining a critical service for the proper functioning and operation of a top Canadian insurer. Come innovate and change the world of insurance with us! A world in constant change and in continuous need of data innovation. Be part of the journey!
We don't offer you a job, we offer you job satisfaction! #Desjardinsdifference
The Analysis and Business Solutions team is looking for a candidate to join as a Data Science Advisor. Are you interested in working in a multi-disciplinary team with people from various backgrounds (statisticians, actuaries, data scientists) in a motivating environment in which we focus on developing our people? Then you may be the one we are looking for!
What you will do
As an Data Science Advisor, you will be responsible for :
- Developing analyses on different sources of data (structured and unstructured) using advanced predictive modeling techniques
- Use analytics and statistics to influence business solutions for internal stakeholders (Underwriting, Sales, Claims, etc.) with the goal of innovating and creating value for our clients
- Constructing complex mandates by diagnosing the issue and advising on potential solutions
- Keeping pace with new advancements in advanced analytics and applying them to your work
- Communicating the assumptions and results of your analyses effectively to various internal stakeholders and management
- Representing the actuarial department on decision-making committees or in meetings
- Acting as the subject matter expert and a reference source in your field for other teams in the organization
- Coaching more junior members of the team.
What you bring to the table
- A degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics or Statistics
- Masters degree (an asset)
- A minimum of 4 years of a relevant experience
- Experience in P&C insurance experience
- Please note that other combinations of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
- Successful completion of at least three CAS exams (an asset)
- P & C Insurance knowledge, Microsoft Office Suite, SAS, VBA, R, Python
- Independent speaker, upper intermediate knowledge of English (for postings in Quebec)
- Strong communication skills in both French and English, both oral and written (an asset)
What we offer
- Training and development opportunities to grow your career with one of Canada's top 100 employers
- Flexible work options and paid time off to support your personal and family needs
- A holistic approach to your well-being, with physical and mental health programs and a supportive workplace culture
- A comprehensive compensation package, including competitive salary, bonus, defined benefit pension plan and benefits
- Fitness reimbursement program
- Discounts on automobile and home insurance premiums
- Full reimbursement of Insurance Institute of Canada courses
- Free second-language course in the workplace
- Reimbursement of job-related continuing education costs
- Time off for study days for actuarial examinations.
Why choose an actuarial career with Desjardins?
- An organization that highly values actuaries and analytics professionals.
- A technology and innovation leader
- Offers and encourages first-hand experience for learning.
- Offers exceptional training and work that will challenge your skill set.
- Offers the flexibility of working in Mississauga, Toronto, Calgary, Montreal or Lévis
- Offers a great rotation program that allows actuaries or analytics professionals to gain additional experience in reserving, pricing, commercial, and R&D
- A company that focuses on members and clients.
Desjardins Cross-sector skills
- Action oriented, Customer Focus, Differences, Nimble learning
Key competencies for the job
- Complexity, Innovation, Interpersonal Savvy
Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is home to a wealth of expertise in property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, wealth management, services for businesses of all sizes, securities brokerage, asset management, venture capital, and secure, leading-edge virtual access methods.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/62d6cdd31165306d830eb7c9/551576a712497d1f544ccd44/en