About the job
Are you looking for a supportive, collaborative workplace with great teams and inspiring leaders? You’ve come to the right place. We’re looking for ambitious people who share our values and want to make every day better for people around the world. If this sounds like you, and the career below sounds exciting, we’d like to hear from you.
The Director, Pension Strategy and Governance assists with the end-to-end management and oversight of Manulife’s global registered and supplemental DB and DC pension plans, with a significant focus on the Canadian plans. This includes governance, financial reporting, communications, design, administration, regulatory compliance and audit.
- Act as Secretary to the Canadian Pension and Investment Committees and provide them with strategic advice and direction. Set meeting agendas, prepare meeting materials and coordinate receipt and review of materials from the Committees’ various delegates and advisors. Track and follow-up on action items and special projects.
- Work with Finance colleagues and Manulife’s auditors on the financial reporting of the company’s global pension plans under IAS 19. Assist in reviewing and setting assumptions and methodology. Coordinate receipt, review and consolidation of financial reporting information from the plans’ actuaries. Answer questions from auditors.
- Provide advanced analytical support in the benchmarking, design, development, and implementation of Manulife’s pension plans globally, including Canada and U.S. and several Asian and European countries.
- Assist with the execution of Manulife’s global pension governance model, including preparation of the annual global pension governance report for the Board.
- Provide project management support and strategic advice on special projects including DB asset-liability studies, DC fund line-up reviews and plan design reviews. Whenever changes are made, assist with member and senior management communications, implementation and change management.
- Monitor evolving market/best practices and trends in the pension industry with a focus on Canada and U.S.
- Help manage internal and external vendors of the Canadian and US pension plans, including third party actuaries, third party administrators and recordkeepers, investment managers, investment consultants and auditors. Ensure service level agreements and quality standards are met. Provide support with RFP and procurement process when applicable.
- Provide individual pension counseling to senior executives upon hire, termination, or retirement.
- Provide high level support for preparation of the Canadian pension plans’ audited financial statements, including answering questions from Manulife’s auditors.
- Assist with ongoing assessment of the regulatory compliance of Manulife’s pension plans and remediation of complex administrative issues.
- Undergraduate degree required. Actuarial designation is an asset
- 5 – 10 years experience (minimum) as a DB/DC pension consultant and/or in a similar plan sponsor/administrator role
- Broad knowledge and experience across multiple areas of Canadian pension plan management, including governance, financial reporting, communications, design, administration, regulatory compliance, audit and funding. Experience with asset/liability studies, investment manager oversight and/or risk management is an asset. Familiarity with US pension plans is also an asset
- Strong numerical/analytical skills and financial acumen
- Excellent written communication skills with particular emphasis on report writing for senior management
- Strong presentation skills and interpersonal skills to liaise with peers and senior executives
- Proficient in developing and using Excel/Powerpoint charts, graphs, and spreadsheets
Every career at Manulife/John Hancock provides the opportunity to learn new skills and move your career forward. Ready to make an impact somewhere? What are you waiting for? Apply today.
About John Hancock And Manulife
John Hancock is a unit of Manulife Financial Corporation, a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife globally, including Canada, Asia and Europe. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were CAD$1.3 trillion (US$1.1 trillion) as of June 30, 2021. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as MFC on the TSX, NYSE, and PSE, and under 945 on the SEHK. Manulife can be found at manulife.com.
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports more than 10 million Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, and education savings plans. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact email@example.com.