At ICBC, it’s our job to make sure the car insurance system works for all British Columbians, today and in the future. If you want to make the most of your skills and expertise while growing your career, we want you. A career at ICBC is an opportunity to be part of a talented, diverse and inclusive team that is driven to serve its customers and community. You can expect a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and a collaborative work environment. If you are reliable and dependable, contact us today to be part of our talented and diverse team as we work together to create an insurance system we can all be proud of.
We welcome applications from all qualified job seekers. If you are a job seeker with a disability, please let us know as adjustments can be made to help support you in delivering your best performance.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Actuary Manager to lead the Actuarial Governance team. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Personal Insurance Pricing, this position will lead a team of one Actuary and one Actuarial Analyst responsible for independent reviews that will focus on ensuring the quality of analytical process and key results produced by the Corporate Actuarial teams and the Insurance Pricing teams. The Actuarial Governance team will review procedures and controls, and perform full peer reviews of key actuarial work products. We are looking for a people leader who has experience managing and motivating a team of quantitative analytical professionals. The Manager should be comfortable working with excel, and be familiar with specialized actuarial software such as Emblem, Radar, and ResQ.
Key accountabilities include:
• Manage a small team (one actuary, one actuarial analyst)
• Lead performance of direct reports inclusive of providing professional and technical guidance, and provide regular performance reviews
• Co-ordinate and perform peer reviews, process reviews, documentation reviews, and data validation, including:
- peer reviews of actuarial liability estimation, rate change indications, actuarial financial reporting, rate segmentation (predictive models), and premium projection
- support the Appointed Actuary in creation of the valuation document
- validate new data constructed for use in core actuarial work products
• Provide education as needed based on review findings
• Recommend enhancements to actuarial processes, methodologies, and controls
• Remain up to date on current actuarial methods and practices, potential data issues, and other relevant circumstances
The successful candidate will have:
• At least five years of experience in property & casualty actuarial work with exposure to actuarial loss reserving, pricing, and modelling practices
• At least two years of experience with managing and coaching actuarial professionals
• The ability to create a collaborative and positive work environment, build and maintain strong and effective relationships, and effect change from a position of influence
• The ability to communicate with all levels of leadership at the right level for the audience
• Courage, integrity, and willingness to report results in an unbiased manner
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to understand context and its impact on all issues, identify key areas requiring action, and successfully execute strategies for resolution
• Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS), or equivalent
• A post-secondary degree
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
The salary range for this position is $122,000 to $152,000, depending upon experience.
If required, relocation assistance will be discussed.
ICBC provides comprehensive benefit coverage to all eligible employees including a defined benefit pension plan and 4 weeks’ vacation, plus 2 Wellness days.
• Extended health plan – 100% employer paid
• Dental plan – 100% employer paid for Basic coverage; 70% employer paid for major coverage
• MSP – 100% employer paid life insurance, LTD, and travel insurance
• Sick leave plan – 100% of pay for a period of a maximum of 15 weeks – 100% employer paid
• Long term disability plan
• Basic group life insurance
• Voluntary group life insurance
• Pension plan – defined benefit pension plan that pays a benefit to you or your beneficiary upon termination, death, or retirement – optional for the first two years of employment and mandatory after two years
• Optional Employee and Family Assistance Program
• Optional Canada Savings Bond Payroll Savings Program
• Optional Registered Retirement Savings Plan
• CPP – Automatic.
We invite you to apply today and find out why employees recommend ICBC to their friends and family as an excellent place to work. We value and seek to maintain an environment of Collaborative, Supportive, Straightforward, and Knowledgeable team.
Come join us at one of BC’s Top Employers!
Employing a hybrid-working model, this role combines on-site in office work with work from home flexibility.
As announced by the Provincial government, all ICBC employees will be required to show proof of full Covid-19 vaccination.
Only candidates legally entitled to work in Canada will be considered for this position.