Director, Funding Strategy
- Alberta Teachers' Retirement Fund
- Edmonton, AB
- Annual Salary
- Practice Area
- Investment, Pension
- Actuarial designation
- Actuary – FCIA
Are you looking for an opportunity to support the hard-working teachers of Alberta where your work will contribute to ensure the over 80,000 members of the Alberta teachers’ pension plans receive a secure retirement? The Alberta Teachers’ Retirement Fund (ATRF) has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated professional to join our team as Director, Funding Strategy in Edmonton, AB.
The Fund Risk & Strategy team is responsible for supporting the ATRF Board in setting an investment policy that will provide consistent delivery of plan benefits while maintaining both affordable contributions for members and a healthy plan funded status. This team also monitors ATRF’s investment portfolio to ensure that it conforms to the investment policy.
Reporting to the VP, Fund Risk & Strategy, this position provides robust analysis and reporting of pension investment risks, building internal capabilities and working collaboratively with the plan’s external actuary. The Director, Funding Strategy is also accountable for actuarial analysis of investment risk that supports the setting of pension contribution rates, actuarial assumptions, the strategic allocation and other elements of the investment policy. Additionally, this position will provide modeling in support of the Investment Strategy & Risk function and be instrumental as ATRF moves to implement internal Asset-Liability Modeling (ALM) tools for pension risk modeling.
The ideal candidate for this role is a high performing professional with a wide range of pension, actuarial, and investment knowledge who is able to perform complex analyses and clearly communicate sound recommendations. The ability to build and maintain strong working relationships is imperative to the success of this role as the Director, Funding Strategy works closely with ATRF’s Pension Services department on actuarial matters to bridge the asset and liability sides of the plan.
A detailed position description of the role can be viewed here
Qualifications, Experience and Capabilities
- Completion of a relevant university degree (e.g., Business, Economics, Mathematics or Actuarial Science)
- Completion of a recognized professional actuarial designation such as FSA/FCIA or ASA/ACIA. Other professional designations, such as CFA or FRM can also be considered with adequate experience and educational background in actuarial matters.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in institutional investment management and/or pension fund management. Individuals with fewer years’ experience who demonstrate a solid understanding of portfolio construction, investment risk, and pension actuarial matters will be considered
- Experience with mentoring and leading projects/teams would be beneficial
- Strong analytical and modeling skills
- Knowledge of Canadian pension legislation and actuarial standards, including exceptional knowledge of actuarial valuation, funding and forecasting methods, and other actuarial techniques
- Experience with defined benefit pension asset-liability modelling systems a definite asset
- Experience with and understanding of investment risk systems such as FactSet, BarraOne, or Aladdin a definite asset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to present complex material to non-technical audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills
At ATRF, diversity is one of our core strengths. We are an organization that takes pride in ensuring the people we hire and the culture we create reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background, and experience. We offer a competitive compensation package, a comprehensive benefit program and an inclusive culture where you can be you!
Application Information: Individuals interested in being considered for this role are required to submit a cover letter as well as a resume attention to Aurlee Crane, Recruitment Specialist to firstname.lastname@example.org We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to successfully complete a background check including educational verification, criminal record and a credit check.
More search results
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC)
Contrat en actuariat : Élaboration de contenu en …
Institut canadien des actuaires
CIA contract actuary opportunities: FCIA educatio…
Canadian Institute of Actuaries
Senior Actuarial Advisor
Senior Advisor - Development and Pricing - Guaran…