Appointed Actuary, Canadian Branch
- 184 Front Street East, Toronto
- Financial – Insurance
- Actuarial designation
- Actuary – FCIA
The Berkshire Hathaway brand is synonymous with trust, integrity, prudent risk taking and doing business the right way. Like all great brands, ours continues to be forged on the actions of our people – every one of us – who live it day to day and over time. Our financial strength enables us to provide consistent capacity and innovative, tailored solutions. It enables us to underwrite large, complex risks long term – and gives our customers the utmost confidence in the way we do business.
Berkshire Hathaway Group, Reinsurance Division (BHG Re) is a leading provider of life retrocession to Reinsurers from the United States, Canada, Asia and Europe. We are a unique organization, financially strong and diversified, with an appetite for large risks and a long investment horizon, more accepting of volatility. BHG Re provides a collaborative and supportive culture where you can learn and grow.
About the Role
We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds. We are looking for a curious, self-motivated, and well-rounded individual to be a vital member of our Canadian Branch. You will work directly with other experienced actuaries and lead a team consisting of actuarial analysts and managers. This role will give you a unique opportunity to work with regulatory standards in various jurisdictions (US, Canada and Europe), gain valuable reinsurance knowledge and gain experience designing valuation systems and processes.
Key Responsibilities of the role (include but not limited to):
- Appointed Actuary for the BHG Re Canadian entity;
- Valuation, analysis and reporting (including regulatory reports, disclosures and Board/Chief Agent presentations) of the BHG Re life retrocession Canadian business under IFRS 17;
- Review existing valuation processes and systems. Recommend, design and help implement process improvements to accommodate growing lines of business and facilitate analysis;
- Recommend method and assumption changes and oversee their implementation;
- Lead special projects as requested by Senior Management;
- Manage a high performing actuarial team. Provide mentoring, coaching, and managing their day-to-day work and professional development.
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries designation (FSA) designation is required;
- Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries designation (FCIA) is required;
- 10+ years of experience in a life insurance/reinsurance Company is required;
- Experience in an actuarial valuation role and knowledge of US reporting standards is preferred. Knowledge of Canadian reporting standards is required.
- Strong people management skills, ability to lead and influence;
- Strong technical skills and ability to analyze and solve problems;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience presenting to senior management;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Knowledge/experience with GGY/Moody’s AXIS.
Similar searches: Actuary – FCIA, Ontario, Financial – Insurance