- Pacific Blue Cross
- Burnaby, BC
- $80,000 to $105,000
- Temporary 24 Months
- Financial – Insurance
- Practice Area
- Group and Health Benefits
- Actuarial designation
- Actuarial Candidate
- British Columbia
About Pacific Blue Cross
Pacific Blue Cross (PBC) has been British Columbia's leading benefits provider for over 80 years. We are an independent, not-for-profit society with strong roots in BC’s health care system. We provide health, dental, life, disability, and travel coverage to 1 in 3 British Columbians through employee group plans and individual plans.
We are fueled by a commitment to keep health care sustainable for all British Columbians. Through our PBC Health Foundation, we fund projects that improve health outcomes directly related to mental health and wellbeing as well as the prevention and/or management of chronic disease. We are interested in finding people who want to make a difference and who are looking to grow their career with us.
- Work-life balance with flexible working hours of 7.5 hours per day, Monday to Friday (i.e., 37.5 hours per week).
- Paid vacation starts at 4 weeks per year, and increases with years of service.
- Hybrid work environment (i.e., a combination of work from office and work from home days).
- Generous benefits, including extended health, dental, and life insurance; depending on the plan that you choose, these benefit premiums can be 100% paid by PBC.
- Company pension contributions after 1 year of service.
- Education allowance to expand your knowledge and develop your skills.
- Onsite gym, cafeteria, and access to virtual doctors/counsellors 24/7 via our Employee Family Assistance Program!
About the Position
- We are searching for a temporary (up to 24 months) Associate Actuary to join our Actuarial Services team.
- The starting salary will be determined based on a combination of skills, education, and experience. The salary range is $80,000 – $115,000 per year.
If you’re someone with a passion to support product development, evaluate client experience, and support quote requests and are wanting to take on a great career opportunity with a local not-for-profit health insurance provider by using your ability to utilize your actuarial experience, we want to hear from you.
Your skills in calculating monthly liabilities, completing actuarial studies and corporate reports, and supporting product development help Pacific Blue Cross be able to provide sustainable healthcare.
We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package and work-life balance. Our workplace culture values health and wellness, diversity and equality, continuing education, environmental sustainability and giving back to the community.
We are now recruiting for an Associate Actuary to join our Actuarial team. The role is currently in a hybrid structure working from home 7 days over 2 weeks and from our head office in Burnaby, BC 3 days over 2 weeks. Apply this week if you would like to take on this role.
Key Ways This Position Makes An Impact
The Associate Actuary calculates monthly liabilities and incurred but not reported reserves for health benefits.
In this role you would help complete actuarial studies and corporate reports required by regulators and insurance associations.
This role supports special quote requests and product development for health benefits.
You would evaluate client specific experiences, propose and model plan design changes and calculate premiums based on innovative solutions.
In this role, you would produce and analyze statistical information from reporting tools.
Key Experiences You Bring To This Role
- Bachelor’s Degree in Actuarial Science or Master of Science program with Actuarial major or other related fields if there is proven knowledge of actuarial concepts
- Associate of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries or the Society of Actuaries
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in group benefits
- Database programming skills on Access, SQL or MS Analysis Services (SSAS, SSRS)
If you’re excited about taking on this opportunity, we invite you to apply today and start the conversation with us about this position.
Please apply via our website this week at http://www.pbchbs.com/company/careers/
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
PBC is an Indigenous Works employer of choice, an Insurance Business Canada Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion award winner, one of Canada’s Greenest employers, a Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion (CCDI) employer partner, and a Pride at Work partner.
We strive to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and employees feel empowered to freely participate and contribute regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability, education level, parental status, or socioeconomic status. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
To request an accommodation in completing this job application, testing, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. These accommodation requests will be reviewed confidentially and, on a case-by-case basis by Human Resources.